Wednesday, January 18, 2006

夢をあきらめないで

Tonight I had the opportunity to go listen to a man speak about overcoming challenges. The title of his talk was, "Don't give up on your dreams." He gave a 2 hour speech in Japanese (of course) about how he had to have both his legs amputated 5 years ago after an accident. His talk went on about how he went from being in the hospital and feeling sorry for himself to running marathons. He decided that he would do things that even when he had legs he wasn't good at. He doesn't believe in, "I can't" and it showed not only in the sports he does but also his way of life. He has his own business and still makes time to go around giving speeches and run marathons in New York, Vancouver, Australia, Hawaii, and is even giving it a go at climbing mountains. 2 days ago he returned from Argentina where he tried climbing Mt. Acongua. Due to an inflammation in his leg he had to turn back before the summit but a little setback isn't deterring him from pursuing his dreams. The talk tonight only reinforced my belief that I can do whatever I put my mind to. Miyako Strongman, here I come!