Friday, September 05, 2008

I don't about the rest of you but while reading articles about Sarah Palin & Hillary Clinton, I noticed that they are referred to as Ms. Palin and Mrs. Clinton. The difference in titles, Ms. & Mrs., confused me so I decided to look into it. Apparently I'm not the only one confused but I'm guessing not too many caught it either. Sorry if I've opened up a can of worms and now you'll notice it every time you see it. Ie. you know that person who always says "like"...
Here's an answer I found on MacMinute (also an explanation found here):
-------------------
I did actually contact the NY Times about this and I received a response. I'm not sure how accurate it is but:

"Dear Mr. R:

The reason we call Ms. Palin "Ms." is that we did our reporting -- we asked her what her preference is for her courtesy title in The Times. She told us that she wants to be called "Ms," not "Mrs."

This is the style we have followed for several decades now since "Ms." came into being. We let the woman decide. (Imagine that!)

Condoleezza Rice told The Times when came into office that she wanted to be referred to in the pages of The Times as "Ms." -- not "Miss." She also did not want to be referred to as Dr. Rice -- though we extended that courtesy to Henry Kissinger because he did indeed want his courtesy title to be Dr. Kissinger. Likewise, Hillary Clinton told us back in 1992 that she wants to be referred to as "Mrs." And Michelle Obama says she wants to be referred to as "Mrs."

We do this for everyone, not just public officials. So if you are married and we happen to quote your wife in some article, we will follow her wishes. If she wants to be "Ms. R" that is how she will be referred to. (Assuming you allow her that choice.)

Best regards,

Greg Brock
Senior Editor"

So, according to that response, Ms. is what she prefers. I still find it somewhat odd that she would choose to nullify her married status, but, I have not proof to the contrary at this point.
Hopefully it will simply be Vice-President Palin soon.

-----------------

The last paragraph does not in any way portray the thoughts or feelings of ME. I do not hope that it will be Vice-President Palin.