Tuesday, April 25, 2006



Miyako Strongman Triathlon
On April 23rd I took part in a Strongman triathlon. It consists of a 3 km swim, a 155 km bike, and a 42... km run. When I awoke the morning of, it was lightning and thunder. Not a great way to start a day. With about 20 minutes till the start the thunderstorm dissipated or blew away. The swim didn't seem too tough but over 120 people didn't make it past the swim portion due to either slow times or exhaustion. I finished the 3 km swim in 1 hour and 2 minutes. The bike was next and after 5 hours 16 minutes, I had completed the 155 km ride. It started off nicely with relatively little wind but after the 100 km mark the wind slowed me down considerably and also my legs started to tire. The run was a total drain. When I started it I just wanted to run the whole thing but ended up walking about 5 km of it doing a run/ walk deal after the half way point. My dad came up beside me at about the 25 km mark and with his support I was able to jog most of the way back to the finish line completing the run in 5 hours and 29 minutes. My total time was 11 hours 48 minutes and 39 seconds. It was a wonderful experience and I look forward to doing more in the future and bettering my times.