Saturday, June 03, 2006

Random Musings ( Oh how they bring me such joy)
So 2 months until I start the next chapter of my life. I've begun preparing by shaving my goatee, changing my hairstyle (no more mohawk), cleaning my apartment, contacting my successor, worrying, getting nervous, and still having no concrete answers. Wow, how that just went downhill.
Been doing quite a bit of reading lately, just finished Philip Pullman’s, His Dark Materials trilogy. It was quite fascinating. You might have heard about it, it's the trilogy where God (the authority) dies. The book came off as fantasy but introduced some interesting questions for me. With books like The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, and Philip Pullman's books, Religion has become a popular topic. I was a party last week with all Americans and some people were having a conversation. At one point, religion and beliefs became the topic and one of the ladies said she didn't feel like talking about it but proceeded to dive head first into why she didn't want to talk about it. The talk about religion lasted for a bit. Well, I've digressed enough and feel that it is time for me to go to bed or at least to change topics.

My current book I'm is The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. I'm about half way thru and am enjoying it quite a bit. Even though it doesn't seem to be a very happy book. Thus far, my favorite line in the book is, "Her kiss was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering." I've had trouble explaining that line to Japanese people.
As my time gets shorter in Okinawa, I find myself reminiscing and wondering what my future holds. When we are children, we are told we can do anything if we try. Looking back, I remember being told that but I can't remember having a dream. I can't recall what it is I wanted to be when I grew up. It saddens me because now that I'm an adult, I still don't know. I feel like I should know or that I should have figured it out a long time ago. Now that the innocence is gone it's tough to believe you can do anything. I guess I'll just have to try. Because I still have time. And in some ways I'm still a child. There's a little trace of innocence hiding somewhere in me.