Thursday, November 01, 2007

Running with Music

Read an article in the NY Times today regarding banning use of music during races.  I started reading the article with an opinion all ready decided and that hasn't changed.  When it comes to training for a race, I'm all for listening to an ipod.  But during a race, you will never see me listening to music.  This might be the most controversial thing I write but I consider it rude to listen to music while people are volunteering to cheer you on, provide you with drinks, gels, and snacks.  Music might help you get through those tough times during the race but I tend to feed off the energy of the spectators, other runners, and the atmosphere.  There are times when there aren't people on the course cheering you on but to me that's when you have to dig deep and show what you're made of.  Go ahead, read the article, and form your own opinion.  You know where I stand.  http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/sports/othersports/01marathon.html