Tuesday, September 25, 2007

2007 Santa Cruz Sentinel Triathlon Results


Sentinel results
Originally uploaded by john hayato
So here are the results from my race. It appears that there were a lot of FAST people at this race since I finished 178th. Right from the start. As I was running into the water my left hamstring gave me a painful sensation. The swim definitely killed me during the race and when I was getting out of the water it felt like both my legs were going to cramp up. That is not normal as I don't use my legs much during the swim. I had trouble getting my breathing down during the bike and my feet were numb until about the halfway point of the run. Overall the weather was great for the race and I did a lot better than my first olympic distance triathlon (1.5 km swim, 40 km bike, and 10 km run). My only real complaint about the race is that there was a portion of the bike that was a narrow access road full of potholes (big ones) and it just happened to be a turnaround area so bikers are coming from the opposite direction, bikers also passing each other, and bikers trying to avoid potholes. I'm surprised I didn't hear about any horrendous accidents. The goal for this past year has been to qualify for Boston which explains my strong run. I took 10 minutes off my bike from my previous olympic distance but my swim was slower. Could be because this swim was in open water where there are waves, currents... and my first olympic was in an enclosed harbor.