Monday, September 17, 2007

Good Karma, Bad Karma

What wonderful weather we had this past weekend.  With a triathlon coming up this Sunday, I spent sat. and sunday working on swimming, biking, and running.  On Sat. Pat and I went for a mile swim in the bay and then a 30 minute run.  We would have run for longer but I had a work bbq to go to in the afternoon.  Sat. night, my apartment had a little party with a theme.  People were supposed to dress like executives and secretaries.  So a bunch of people stopped by in their monkey suits while a lot of my friends decided to come in what they had been wearing all day.  I bore no ill will and actually told them that it was fine.  For s&#ts and giggles, I wore an actual monkey suit, with a tie of course.  The party lasted long into the morning but I called it a night after 2 glasses of wine around midnight.  Had a big training day planned for Sunday and those of you familiar with me know that exercise comes before partying, esp. when a race is coming up.  Woke up bright and early Sunday morning to an apt. that looked like a frat house and went down to the bay to get a 45 minute swim in with my triathlon club.  Lately seals have been known to bug people as they swim and it's not unheard of for a seal to nip at you.  This scares the crap out of me and felt blessed to not encounter a seal although there were a couple close by.  After a coffee break, a friend and I got on our bikes, headed over the Golden gate bridge, and whilst going down a hill I hit a pot hole with both wheels.  Soon afterwards, my back tire went flat and start fishtailing a bit.  Luckily my front tire didn't go flat right away and I was able to brake to a stop.  It was my first time having both tires go flat at the same time and I hope it never happens again.  Well, that was my weekend in a nutshell with little tidbits of private information left out.  Pictures of it all will hopefully follow soon enough. 
 
I have an Olympic Distance triathlon coming up on Sunday and although I've done quite a fews tris over the past couple years, this will be my second olympic distance one.  My first ever triathlon was the Ishigaki triathlon which was also an olympic tri.  I just looked up my splits and time.  My goal for this triathlon will be to improve upon all 3 areas.  So for your reference and mine, here are the stats from my first one.
Swim: 30:28, Bike 1:18:00, Run 0:52:22 = Total 2:40:50 ( 1.5 km, 40 km, 10 km)